Monday 3 October 2011

Perfume-L'Artisan-Fou d'Absinthe

L’Artisan Parfumeur is the house got me feel that my heart was trembling, my blood rushing to my head and my palms sweaty, all because of its beauty of being a niche perfume house and its ideas founded on creating connoisseurs-grade of perfumes since the 1970s.
Whether L’Artisan has gone rather commercial these years, it’s another story…
I’m dedicating my first perfume-centred post here to one of L’Artisan’s perfume, for the thankfulness to this house which has opened up the door to the niche perfume world for me.
A picture of two bottles of Absinthe.


  • Fou d’Absinthe by L’Artisan Parfumeur
Absinthe has been one of my few loved alcoholic beverage, and trying Fou d’Absinthe is like unwrapping Christmas presents, I do have expectations and wanting to know how it is like, but on the other hand, a tremendous amount of fear is hidden there, fearing of knowing and fearing of the hope’s gone.
Thankfully, Fou d’Absinthe has lived up to my expectation.
The opening does have a good resemblance of the absinthe liqure, it has this cool yet warm sensation to my nose, I guess the black currant, fir, pine and angelica notes do blend well here. It’s deceivingly mouth-watering, but unlike any fruity commercial toy boy-y perfumes or oh-lah-lah-y girly sugary concoctions I keep on smelling in the air, Fou d’Absinthe has this wonderful real absinthe-y sweet, hypnotic, wasted yet beautiful charm in it. It’s sweet, but subtle and enchanting.
After a while, the incense smokiness shows up together with a swirl of spiciness, like an old leather-cover book (without animalist leather), not too showy but definitely has a lot of personality. Occasionally it get rather warmed up, a wonderful blend of spiciness (especially the cloves) and woodiness, somehow it reminiscent the feeling of drinking Chai Latte, but in a more self-assured manner.
The dry down is to die for, it’s somehow a wonderful skin scent with quite good silage, it’s warm and welcoming; the dash of woodiness comes and goes, leaves this scent ending up nicely yet not boring.
The smell of Fou d’Absinthe is like a perfect down-to earth partner, wraps you with hugs and gives you comfort, without being demanding or too showy. Somehow it does make me think of those romantic scenes you might’ve come cross sometime in your life, say… a lazy sunny Sunday morning, a sweet couple, they are walking the dog and chattering; the background has woods, grasses with maybe a couple of wild little white flowers scatted everywhere; somewhere further away you can see a pound and gooses on the bank and any moment soon the dog might start to chase those silly gooses…
Even tho Fou d’Absinthe is marked towards men, the right woman can pull it off with ease.
It’s a scent for the keeper kind of person whom might have a slightly badass personality and no lacking of charm at all.
Personally I find it full-bottle-worth, masculine yet unisex perfume which can be easily worn in any season (40̊C+ steaming days are the exceptions).

No comments:

Post a Comment