Saturday 22 September 2012

Perfume-MDCI Parfums-La Belle Helene


La Belle Helene by MDCI Parfums is like a beautiful art-deco salon with some old-time charm, yet still look and smell rather captivating in a way that I just can’t take my eyes off (or to be more precise, my nose off my wrist).

It starts with this really juice, yet self-assured, well-blended slightly lily-dominant caramalised fruity scent, which somewhat reminds me a lot of Something about Sofia by Benefit, and Lalique Amythest. I checked out the nose behind La Belle Helene, well, it’s Bertrand Duchaufour, I guess this type of hate-or-love slightly earth and ‘wet’ sweet accord is the Duchaufour signature then. I guess the chemical compositions do play tricks, as I checked, the official top notes suppose to be more leaning towards pear, tangerine, rose, lime, vetiver, osmanthus, ylang ylang, patchouli, Virginia cedar, to name a few.  I guess, sticking with the ‘pear’ accord, La Belle Helene is one of the art-y, tasteful ‘pear’ perfume I’ve ever tried. It is neither too fruity/juice, nor too dry or gourmand with sugar. Everything seems to blend so well, and at this stage, what I can think of is some of those really exquisite Marie-Antoinette style dresses in champagne colour and a lot of fine details would go well with the particular mood La Belle Helene sets.

As the scent develops, the quasi-lily accord goes to the background and becomes more echo-y and moised, i.e typical Duchaufour; while the sweetness gets more settled and slightly warmed and spiced and dried up a bit. I cannot detect any osmanthus, even though this note is one which got me buying a sample of La Belle Helene by MDCI Parfums.

The final dry down is rather nice, it’s like warm, slightly dry woody vanilla scent with a tiny bit muddled white floral touch.

As much as I loved some of the Duchaufour creations (and came to hatred towards nearly the other handful), I guess La Belle Helene is more in the slightly polarizing end and I can see myself hating this perfume one day. I cannot handle this quasi-lily note well, however, if you are a Bertrand Duchaufour fan and you love Lalique Amythest, but want something slightly quieter in a more refined, lady-like way, give La Belle Helene a try!

But if you are on a budget and you don’t mind a more girly sweet opening and some slight insence-y hint in the dry down, in addition to what you can smell in La Belle Helene, I’d say, go for a bottle of Something About Sofia, Benefit makes quite cute bottles by the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment