Sunday 11 December 2011

Perfume-Chanel-No.5 Parfum

Chanel No. 5 is actually one of the perfumes which open up the door to the world of perfumes to me. Glad that I started with this perfume, and I’ve got the Parfum version (because I find the edt or edp quite different), and it’s an instant “wow, it’s intriguing, and not bad or old-fashioned smell at all”, despite the fact that floral aldehyde isn’t my usual taste. The bergamot blended so well with sensual ylang ylang and many other notes, with a touch of ylang ylang infused, relaxed-in-luxury feel of aldehyde.

Later on, it gets rounder; the citrusy bergamot combo gradually wears off, and left a more relaxed, and self-assured concoction on me, it feel like been wrapped around by white chiffon clothes, not exactly cuddly or cosy (like some of the vanilla perfumes evoke), but comfy enough to make me feel like a carefree teenager princess in the 17th or 18th century; yet still with a touch of elegance and a low-key beauty, like some little piece of gorgeous renaissance arty accessories/deco in a modern day study.

Then the warm, cosy, slightly velvet feel of musk and other ingredients combo kicks in, and it feels like a pair of nice soft vintage gloves. While I generally hate the presence of leather in my perfumes, the leather here, along with other “animal” notes which I don’t normally like, just blended in a lovely fashion and I simply adore it out of half craving for nostalgic comfy scent, and half just the enjoyment of the scent itself. Every now and then, from the cosy animal nots combo, there’s a certain kind of ivory soap smell becomes relatively more dominant, but it’s quite shy and hides for a bit, then comes back. Somehow, despite the conventional ‘heavy’ and glamorous associations I have with Chanel No 5, I find somehow from another point of view, it’s just like a nice blanket perfume, or a supportive friend there for you. No wonder I read it somewhere, something like this: “in the turning point of a woman’s life, when she doesn’t know what to wear, she can always turn to Chanel No 5…”.

Since I’ve tried a bit of those big scents with similar feel to Chanel No.5, I once thought No.5 is just a “yes that’s nice”, but somewhat when I come back and rediscover it, I find that there’s a certain character inside No.5, which is so gracefully there, while absent in some other big guns like Fracas, Tobacco Blond, Trouble…(not saying these are not nice scents). Maybe it’s the inner strength of No.5 makes it a legendary perfume which is still popular today.

From my heart, I would recommend everyone Chanel No.5 (Parfum version); but my logic tells me, well, I hate to say this, but…maybe, in public, not those under 25 (yes it includes me, I feel the strange looks when once I was wearing No.5 to uni, I guess nowadays people expect certain group of people to smell like certain things), and this is purely because the certain social association with Chanel No.5 is mainly made up of imagines of those more mature woman and mostly quite successful in some way.

Highly recommend to try the Parfum version :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment