Tuesday 13 December 2011

Perfume-Chanel-Coco Mademoiselle Parfum

Coco Mademoiselle (Parfum) by Chanel is one of the rather popular Chanel perfume among the younger generation of perfume users, which is clear—on a regular Friday or Saturday night, on the street I can smell at Coco Mademoiselle from at least one person and most of the time, it’s virtual walking clouds of Coco Mademoiselle’s. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, it’s just sometimes when something gets popular due to the heritage (a.k.a Chanel) and the seductive sex-sells campaign (featuring Keira Knightley), I get a bit critical and more rational about the perfume itself.
Well, about the perfume itself, the Parfum version, it starts with a really defined sweet chypre-floral opening, so sweet-chypre that somewhat a slightly watery aspect can be clearly smelt. The notes includes quite a handful of citrusy stuff like Sicilian grapefruit, Calabrain bergamot and Sicilian orange, but to my noses, none of the individual notes is detectable and everything ends up in a rather pleasant hue.
Several minutes later, when the top notes disappeared, the middle stage is a rather sweet, a bit sugared tart citrusy pie mixed with a little bit chypre/watery undertone. Somewhat I can understand why many perfume with similar middle phase like this have been released one by one to the market since 2000, largely due to the success of Coco Mademoiselle I guess? Is it a kind of mass-media and mass-preference induced preference illusion/obsession? Well, I guess I’m too cynical because overall the scent is nice in comparison with many others.
With a rather transparent-cello-plastic-wrap infused kinda sugary smell and a faint hint of watery patchouli and other sweet tart notes from before, I’m not overly impressed by this Chanel.

P.S.: I heard many people complaining that Coco Mademoiselle is too masculine, I guess it’s due to the watery start? Think, most of the perfumes marketed towards guys these days have significant aquatic accord, no wonder…
What I can say, well, perfume was and still is genderless, it’s the marketing and media pushed this ‘For Her’, ‘For Him’ idea in the consumers’ heads, just because a perfume has some notes resemble a large majority of others fumes labelled ‘for Him’ doesn’t mean anything to me, and it should not, in my humble opinion. The right personality can pull off anything…

No comments:

Post a Comment