Saturday 26 May 2012

Perfume-Serge Lutens-Bas de Soie

Bas de Soie by Serge Lutens is hauntingly beautiful in a simplistic manner, and it is one of the least strange yet strangely intriguing Serge Lutens’ perfumes I’ve tried.
The beginning reminds me a lot of Chanel No.19, the cold, green, slightly powdery, really business-woman-y feeling, it feels rather unapproachable. But soon after the opening, within 5 seconds, Bas de Soie smells of beautiful hyacinth to me, just like what you would smell from a florist’s shop. Dewy, fresh, and naturally beautiful. The ingredients are hyacinth and iris only, according to fragrantica.com, and I find it a wonderful thing when perfumes become less focused on the number of ingredients/accord, but more on how the feeling or vision the certain finishing product actually evokes.
As the perfume develops, it simply gets slightly powderier and I can see a linear trend here. It is clean, smells white-ish as in white…chiffon dress; everything is in a innocent yet effortlessly seductive way. Somehow, it does remind me of clean soap, but with a bit elegant touch to make Bas de Soie not just another clean scent.
Bas de Soie is beautiful, in an unearthly way and despite that I love it, ironically I don’t find it wearable to me. I know there are people find it easy to wear due to the quasi-soap quality and it is just a nice humble floral perfume; but for some strange reason, Bas de Soie is erotic, narcotic, wasted yet still has an IQ so high that pain, agony and melancholy still can be felt because Bas de Soie has a brain. Maybe I read into perfume too much, maybe Bas de Soie is more like Lana Del Rey’s songs to me, or maybe, it’s just a shame that nowadays most perfumes are more like sugared vanilla bombs.
Bas de Soie can be worn as a safe skin sent to the office if you just focus on the fresh light hyacinth quality, but to me this is a scent which cannot unread, which in turn might make it unwearable. Nevertheless, Bas de Soie is worth trying, prepared to be lured in at your own risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment